Good sources for books about Jesuits and Ignatian spirituality include: Ignatius Press (www.ignatius.com), Loyola Press (www.loyolapress.com), and The Institute of Jesuit Spirituality (www.jesuitsources.com). Various religious publishers also offer titles on Jesuit-related topics, including Crossroad Publishing Co. (www.cpcbooks.com), Orbis Books (www.orbisbooks.com), and Sheed & Ward (800/462-6420).
Arts & Sciences
- Art on the Jesuit Missions in Asia and Latin America: 1542—1773, by Gauvin Alexander Bailey
- The Jesuits: Cultures, Sciences, and the Arts, by John W. O’Malley, Gauvin Alexander Bailey, Giovanni Sale
- The Jesuits and the Arts, 1540—1773, edited by John W. O’Malley, S.J., and Gauvin Alexander Bailey
Autobiography & Biography
- A Pilgrim’s Journey: The Autobiography of Ignatius of Loyola, translated by Joseph N. Tylenda, S.J.
- Bamboo Swaying in the Wind: A Survivor’s Story of Faith and Imprisonment in Communist China, by Claudia Devaux and George Bernard Wong, S.J.
- Celestial Dragon: A Life and Selected Writings of Fr. Francis Rouleau, by Barry Martinson, S.J.
- In Good Company: The Fast Track from the Corporate World to Poverty, Chastity and Obedience, by James Martin, S.J.
- Jesuit Saints & Martyrs: Short Biographies of the Saints, Blessed, Venerables, and Servants of God of the Society of Jesus, by Joseph N. Tylenda, S.J.
- My Life with the Saints, by James Martin, S.J.
- Alfred Delp, S.J.: Prison Writings, with an introduction by Thomas Merton
- Karl Rahner: Spiritual Writings, edited by Philip Endean
- Pedro Arrupe: Essential Writings, selected with an introduction by Kevin F. Burke, S.J.
- Pierre Teilhard de Chardin: Writings, selected with an introduction by Ursula King
- The Secrets of Jesuit Breadmaking and The Secrets of Jesuit Soupmaking, by Rick Curry, S.J.
- Big Questions, Worthy Dreams: Mentoring Young Adults in Their Search for Meaning, Purpose, and Faith, by Sharon Daloz Parks
- Contemplatives in Action: The Jesuit Way, by William A. Barry, S.J., and Robert G. Doherty, S.J.
- Do You Speak Ignatian?: A Glossary of the Terms Used in Ignatian and Jesuit Circles, by George W. Traub, S.J.
- Heroic Leadership: Best Practices from a 450-Year-Old Company That Changed the World, by Chris Lowney
- Jesuit Saturdays: Sharing the Ignatian Spirit with Lay Colleagues and Friends, by William J. Byron, S.J.
- Landmarking: City, Church, & Jesuit Urban Strategy, by Thomas M. Lucas, S.J.
- Brokers of Culture: Italian Jesuits in the American West 1848-1919, by Gerald McKevitt, S.J.
- God’s Soldiers: Adventure, Politics, Intrigue, and Power: A History of the Jesuits, by Jonathan Wright
- Jazz Age Catholicism: Mystic Modernism in Postwar Paris, 1919-1933,by Stephen Schloesser, S.J.
- The First Jesuits, by John W. O'Malley, S.J.
- A Voice Over the Water: An Invitation to Pray, by William Breault, S.J.
- Close to the Heart: A Practical Approach to Personal Prayer, by Margaret Silf
- Crossing the Threshold of Hope, by Pope John Paul II
- Hearing with the Heart: A Gentle Guide to Discerning God's Will for Your Life, by Debra K. Farrington
- Hearts on Fire: Praying with Jesuits, edited by Michael Harter, S.J.
- Holy Listening: The Art of Spiritual Direction, by Margaret Guenther
- Ignatius Loyola: Spiritual Exercises, by Joseph A. Tetlow, S.J.
- Inner Compass: An Invitation to Ignatian Spirituality, by Margaret Silf
- Letting God Come Close: An Approach to the Ignatian Spiritual Exercises, by William A. Barry, S.J.
- My Jesus: Encountering Christ in the Gospel, by Christoph Cardinal Schönborn
- Passage through Mid-life: A Spiritual Journey to Wholeness, by Paul Robb, S.J.
- Praying with Ignatius of Loyola, by Jacqueline Syrup Bergan and Marie Schwan, C.S.J.
- Praying with the Spiritual Exercises of St. Ignatius, by Laurence L. Gooley, S.J.
- Sharing Wisdom, by Sister Mary Benet McKinney
- The Jesus Meditations: A Guide for Contemplation, by Michael Kennedy, S.J., with accompanying CD narrated by Martin Sheen
- The Return of the Prodigal Son: A Story of Homecoming, by Henri J. M. Nouwen
- The Spiritual Life: Recognizing the Holy, by Robert Fabing, S.J.
- What Jesus Saw from the Cross, by A.G. Sertillanges
- With Burning Hearts: A Meditation on the Eucharist, by Henri J. M. Nouwen
The following titles are available in DVD or VHS:
- Black Robe. An idealistic young Jesuit goes to 17th century Canada where he is sent on a canoe expedition into the wilderness to convert the hostile Huron Indians.
- The Mission. Having gathered the Indians of Paraguay into prosperous mission settlements, 17th century Jesuits struggle to protect them from the violent depredations of European colonists.