Protecting Children, Young People, and Vulnerable Adults
The California Province of the Society of Jesus recognizes that sexual abuse by a member of a religious community constitutes a profound violation of trust in human and professional relationships and can cause confusion and devastating pain for the abused, their families, the local community and the Church at large.
Consistent with the directives of the Charter for the Protection of Children and Young People (United States Conference of Catholic Bishops) and Improving Pastoral Care and Accountability in Response to the Tragedy of Sexual Abuse (Conference of the Major Superiors of Men), the California Province of the Society of Jesus will seek to respond firstly to the complainant, and secondly, to the problems that are caused by sexual abuse. In all circumstances, we will strive toward healing and reconciliation.
The California Province has participated since 2003 in the Instruments of Hope and Healing program of the Conference of Major Superiors of Men so that our leadership might constantly improve our program of response to victims, prevention of sexual abuse and supervision of offending members.
In our efforts to protect minors and vulnerable adults, the California Province commits itself to policies of pastoral response to victims, diligent reporting, and thorough investigation, as well as prevention of at-risk behaviors by Jesuits, and care and supervision of offending Jesuits.
All Jesuits in the California Province participate in ongoing training sessions towards creating and maintaining safe environments. The integrity of our commitment is safeguarded by an independent and professional accrediting agency Praesidium, Inc. The Province is accredited by Praesidium through 2013.
How to Report an Allegation of Abuse
If you believe that you have been, or someone you know
has been, abused by a Jesuit you are urged to advise the California Province by calling: Ms. Mary Pat Panighetti, Advocacy Coordinator, at 408 893-8398 (cell)
You may also contact her via email at: email@example.com
We urge you to contact appropriate law enforcement and child-protective agencies if you believe any incident of abuse has occurred.
The California Province of the Society of Jesus commits itself to:
- Protecting children and vulnerable adults from physical, emotional and sexual abuse.
- Ensuring safe ministerial environments.
- Responding promptly, effectively and compassionately to anyone reporting abuse.
- Complying and cooperating with all civil, criminal, Church and diocesan laws and policies on the reporting and investigation of abuse.
- Respecting and supporting the individual rights of each person affected by abuse.
- Reaching out to victims and others affected by abuse with honesty, compassion and commitment to their physical, psychological and spiritual well-being.
- Responding pastorally to those accused of abuse.
Child Protection Agency Resources
Dallas Charter and Norms